How to Setup your Membership Collection Process
Go to Administrator/Setup and expand the Membership Setup.
Membership Fee: Prior to making this available you need to set up the default Membership Fee based on your Fee Type selection .
Fee Type: This will determine the fee per member is charged.
- Fixed Per Member Fee: This means each member is charged the same fee.
e.g If Membership Fee is set to $10 and you are signing up 3 members, the total charge will be $30 ($10 x 3 members)
- Additional Member Fee: This option gives you the flexibility to charge a different fee for each additional member.
e.g If Membership Fee is set to $10 and the Additional Fee column is set to $5, the total charge will be $20 for 3 members signing up ($10 for the first member and $5 each for the next 2 members)
- Family Fee: If there is only 1 member, the fee set in the Membership Fee is charged. This is a fixed charge for all family members more than 1 . This fee is set in the Additional or Family Fee column.
e.g If Membership Fee is set to $10 and the Additional or Family Fee is set to $5 , the total charge will be $15 for 3 members signing up ($10 for the first member and $5 for all the other members.
- Custom Fee Levels: For this you can set other membership option as products in the Online store and enable the Show Store option. e.g
If you do not want the Store and just collecting donations, then enable Show Donation column
PTA Specific columns: If you are a PTA you can add parts of the fee that go to Local, State & National units. This is just for reporting allocations.
Custom Options: You can decide which columns to display on the Membership form by checking the various options. If unchecked, those columns will not display.
- When Show Volunteer Form option is checked, Online Membership Form will allow Members to volunteer for Committees set up. If set to No, the Volunteer option will be hidden on the form.
- When Show Student Form option is checked, the student data can be collected on the Membership form.
- When Show Online Store option is checked, up to 5 products set in the Online Store module will appear.
- When Email on Online Signup option is checked, and email will be sent to the member.
- When Include Membership Docs link is checked, a link to the Membership docs which might consist of documents like a Welcome Letter will be included in the email.
- When Include Membership Card link is checked, a link to the Membership card or cards if there were more than 1 member will be included in the email.
Member Coordinator Email: This will be point of contact email sent out to the member on signing up.
Example of email Sent to the Member
Example of Membership Doc link
Example of Membership Card link
Setting up your Payment Gateway
There are 2 ways you can use to collect your membership fees, 1 option is with Stripe at www.stripe.com and the other is with Paypal at www.paypal.com. (Paypal Smart Buttons )
You will need to open the Stripe Account or Paypal Business account seperately if you are going to accept Membership payments online.
Note: RunPTO does not collect payments. Your money directly goes to your account at Paypal or Stripe.
It will be your responsibility to set up an business account at Stripe or Paypal
RunPTO prefers Stripe. Online Store is currently configured to work only with Stripe.
Stripe Accounts can be created with the Stripe Connect Button on the Setup Form.
Click here to read more on creating a Stripe Connect account from RunPTO
Alternatively below are the steps to go about setting up your account at Stripe.
- Go to www.stripe.com and open your Stripe account
- After your Stripe account is opened, go to the Dashboard, then click on Developers and then API keys.
- Copy the Publishable Key in Key 1 column and Secret Key in Key 2 column of your school setup. Save and exit RunPTO.
- You are all set to collect Membership Fees from your Members. You can also use test keys to test by creating dummy signups to see how it all comes in before you go live.
- You can click on Payments on the Stripe Dashboard to view your payments.
Important: Make sure your Keys are Live Keys before you start collecting funds from your Membership form, Online Store or Fundraiser Form. Stripe Live Keys will be prefixed with pk_live.. and sk_live…
Below are the steps to go about setting up your account at Paypal
Go to www.paypal.com and signup for a business account.
If you selected Paypal , you will need the Client Id value in Key 1 and Secret in Key 2
1. Go to: https://developer.paypal.com/developer/applications/ and log in with your PayPal business account credentials.
2. Navigate to the My Apps & Credentials tab and click the Create App button in the REST API Apps section. This allows the RunPTO system to authenticate with PayPal ..
3. Name the application (this does not impact the integration) and associate the live account.
4. You can create a Sandbox account for testing or you can directly create the Live account.
4. Click the Create App button.
1. The below example is for Paypal SandBox Keys/Test Keys for testing if required. No monies are withdrawn from the customer accounts if SandBox/Test keys are used.
2. Make sure you create a live app and switch to Live Keys before you start collecting funds.
SandBox App Screen
Live App Screen
5. The App will be created and the administrator can copy the Client ID for the test or live environment into the Key 1 column and secret in the Key 2 column.
Note: These values do not expire, but they can be disabled by an administrator if needed.
6. Paypal Test Client Id begins with AC… and Secret Key begins with EN.. Paypal Live keys will have other prefixes.
After entering live keys, you will be all set to collect payments from your members in your Paypal account and using Paypal Smart Buttons.